Occupational Health and Safety
ASEH is committed to providing workers with a safe, healthy, and conducive work environment. To ensure the health and safety of employees, and prevent accidents at the workplace, we have formulated comprehensive procedures for managing occupational health and safety ("OHS"). The main focuses of ASEH's OHS Management include the “Management System” and “Healthy Workplace”.
Safety and Health Policy
ASE Technology Holding Co., Ltd., its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “ASEH”, “We”, “Us” or “Our”) are committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment through the establishment and maintaining of a safety and health management system that executes management and operational procedures to monitor and implement continuous workplace improvements for the benefit and protection of our employees.
As a strategic part of our sustainable development, our suppliers, contractors, service providers and subcontractors are obligated to conduct their business activities in compliance with the ASEH Safety and Health Policy (“Policy”).
ASEH is committed to implementing the Policy in accordance with the following principles
- Legal Compliance: ASEH shall uphold local safety and health laws and regulations in the countries where we operate, as well as abide by international codes and standards. We will respond accordingly to global advocacy issues, and pay close attention to global safety and health trends. We will establish a safety and health management system in line with international standards, and build a safe, healthy and high-quality working environment.
- Management Systems: ASEH shall establish robust safety and health management systems to assess the risks and opportunities from our business operations, and establish regular assessment procedures through control measures. We will prioritize improvements based on risk assessment levels, promote specific action plans, continuously improve safety and health management performance, prevent accidental injuries and occupational diseases, and protect workers' physical and mental safety and health.
- Goal Establishment: ASEH shall establish short, medium, and long-term quantitative goals, and continuously review safety and health management performance. We will also consult and seek participation from employees or employees’ representatives to achieve our goal of a "zero accident" workplace.
- Safety and Health Culture: ASEH will strive to inculcate a culture and awareness of employee safety and health, and encourage participation and feedback. We will also simultaneously expand opportunities for collaboration and participation across the value chain in order to exert positive social influence and promote a safer and healthier workplace.
- Organizational responsibility: ASEH shall regularly review the safety and health management performance and implementation, and report to the Board of Directors to ensure accountability and compliance with the Policy.
OHS Management System*
|Facility||Management System||Issue Date||Valid Until|
|SPIL Da Fong||ISO45001:2018||2022/12/7||2025/11/25|
|SPIL Chung Shan||ISO45001:2018||2022/12/7||2025/11/25|
|SPIL Zhong Ke||ISO45001:2018||2022/12/7||2025/11/25|
|SPIL Zhong Kong||ISO45001:2018||2022/12/7||2025/11/25|
ASEH is committed to strict compliance with local regulations and international standards such as ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System and the RBA Code of Conduct. To further improve the management standards of our health and safety performance, ASEH’s subsidiaries have established site management organizations, management policies and procedures, and regular internal audit processes. ASEH employs the PDCA model as an approach to prevent all incidents and achieve the management goal of “zero accident.”
The OHS Committees at ASEH’s worldwide facilities are tasked to keep abreast of local regulatory updates and evaluate internal policies, emergency response and environmental safety procedures, so as to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Occupational Injury Management
Occupational injury and incident reporting and investigation procedures are firmly established at all ASEH facilities. When an occupational injury incident occurs, standard operating procedures shall be followed and reported to local authorities in accordance with the management policy and local regulations, while injury incidents are reviewed regularly to improve preventive measures. Each subsidiary manages the statistical analysis of occupational injuries using the major indicators published by the Ministry of Labor and the Global Standards for Sustainability Reporting (GRI Standards) - Disabling Injury Frequency Rate (FR) and Disabling Injury Severity Rate (SR) are key measurements but the statistics do not include traffic accidents. There were 127 incidents of occupational injuries in 2022.
Employee Health and Safety Protection
Since the onset of the Covid-19 outbreak in 2020, ASEH has proactively responded with robust measures to protect the health of its employees. All employees are required to wear medical masks before entering ASEH facilities. To ensure adequate access to masks, we have constructed a Class 100K cleanroom to produce medical grade masks that meet regulatory health standards. The cleanroom is equipped with particle measuring systems (PMS) to maintain a clean production environment. Our production line is fully automated and uses less packaging materials allowing us to be more efficient and sustainable. For the safety of employees on the production floor, we have retrofitted our machines with a safety device and modified the dust collector to reduce noise and vibration. Our mask line was granted a medical device license from the Ministry of Health and Welfare. Since the beginning of mass production in 2020, we have been providing a variety of high-quality masks to nearly 60,000 ASEH employees, and will continue to produce enough free masks for the needs of every employee.
In addition to producing medical masks inhouse, we have also made an investment in Ainos Inc., a manufacturer of rapid COVID-19 detection kits. In our continued fight against Covid-19 and the protection of our employees and their families, ASEH has procured Ainos rapid detection kits to be distributed free of charge to employees.
Building a Healthy Workplace
The physical and mental well-being of our employees are central to organizational stability and the company has developed a multifaceted mechanism that covers health management, health promotion, employee assistance programs and community care.
Health screening – 51,895 people; expenditure of 8.83 million NTD
- Free periodic health screening for all employees and retired employees
- Health screening for employees working in special conditions
- Follow-up consultancy on anomalies discovered through health screening and providing medical advice
- Employees’ clinic: ASE Kaohsiung has partnered with a local hospital to establish an employees’ clinic
- Specialist clinics covering general medicine, cardiology, mental health, weight loss, smoking cessation, vaccination and cancer screening etc.
- Breastfeeding rooms and courses for new parent
- Lectures and health education promotion, sports
Employee Support Program
Gym – 5 gyms
Group courses – 1,500 engagements
Social clubs – 24 clubs
- Establishing massage facilities and gyms: To encourage our employees to exercise regularly, we work with professional trainers to develop a range of classes including spinning, yoga and zumba. These group classes not only help employees maintain a healthy physical and mental well-being, but also facilitate interactions and bonding between coworkers
- Social clubs: These clubs organize a wide variety of activities including sporting events, outdoor activities, indoor cardio sports, arts and crafts, and community service. In particular, ASE Kaohsiung factory has a foreign employee club
- Employee counsellors: Beginning in 2017, ASE Kaohsiung rolled out a seeding program to recruit employees as volunteer counsellors to recognize warning signs of mental health issues and establish front-line support to employees exhibiting symptoms. We have completed 3 sessions of the seeding program, training a total of 95 employees and supporting more than 400 colleagues
- Stress-relieve center. Employees can access the center with complete privacy to seek professional counselling
- Smart mobile clinic that serves remote areas
- Conducting active-ageing activities and courses for seniors in the community
- The ASE Kaohsiung employees’ clinic is also open to the neighboring community, friends and relatives of employees and our customers
Contractor Operation Safety Management
ASEH facilities have established contractor management policies to ensure that safety protocols are observed when contractors work at our facilities and to achieve the target of zero contractor occupational injuries. Eight high-risk types of operations at ASEH’s facilities were identified which include work on pipelines, flammable sources, work inside confined spaces, live-line, crane operations, elevated operations, chemical filling and roof works, for which stricter SOPs were instituted. Additionally, ASEH will continue to request contractors conducting high-risk operations to meet the requirements specified in the ISO 45001 management systems.